Sunday, December 3, 2023

 For My Family

Dec. 23, 2014


For thirty-five Christmas Eves (give or take one or two)

I've known exactly what I would do.

I'd pack all the gifts and food in the car

And drive a bit south, not very far,


To my sister's place where the house overflowed

With family and friends, and the Christmas tree glowed.

The Kemps cooked the main course, the guests brought the sides,

And we ate and we talked and we laughed and we cried.


Some years we had "programs" with songs by the kids,

Some years we played games, and guess what else we did:

We had head-stand contests in honor of Dad!

Do you know any others with a tradition like that?


Makeshift beds were all over the floor,

In the bedrooms, the family room, the trailer, and more.

The kids snuggled up, worn out and yawning,

Excited to see what would come in the morning.


And the morning! My word, you never saw such a sight

As the wrapping paper flew in the dawn's early light!

And the smiles on the faces and the love all around

Were just part of the blessings that were there to be found.


After breakfast the kids played with their toys

Or went outside to wear off their excitement and joy.

Then the big "kids" would gather around the table

To play the big kid games, if they were able.


Taboo, Balderdash, Trivial Pursuit, to name a few,

Competition was fierce between me and you!

There were years when appearances were made

By Mom's fudge and divinity, two things I wouldn't trade


For anyone else's, no matter how good,

For Mom's recipes date back to her own childhood

And probably further (Aunt Maurine would know);

The fudge so rich and the divinity like snow.


In the late afternoon as the sun went down

It was time to head back to my own little town.

With hugs all around and gratitude, too,

Another Christmas was gone; the time always flew.


The decades went by and the children got grown

And had spouses and children and traditions of their own.

So things are different now, but though my eyes may be wet

All those years, all those Christmases, I'll never forget.


I love all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment