Friday, April 12, 2024

I was given the challenge of writing a non-rhyming poem, using a template based on the poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon.  Here it is.


Where I’m From  - April 12, 2024


I am from upright Kirby vacuum cleaners,

From Nestle Quik (chocolate) and hula hoops.

I am from mostly junky little houses

Filled with hand-me-down furniture.

I am from the perfumed lilac bush and

The blackberry bush hideout.


I’m from sitting in the backseat on long trips to see relatives,

Or because we were moving once again.

I’m from J. D. and Rhea,

From salted watermelons and salted apples

And from angel-hair Christmas trees with blue lights.


I’m from “don’t tell me no” and “you make a better door than a window”

And “Little Scrawny Teacher”.

I’m from moving without getting to say goodbye.

I’m from Idaho and every European country,

Homemade fudge and lemon meringue pie,


From Rhea’s leprechaun who chopped wood in the forest,

Her crocheted doilies and tablecloths, Valeda’s poems and songs,

Stored in cabinets or boxes in the shop.

I’m from Corene’s quilts made from scraps,

From J.D.’s work ethic and his

M I crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter crooked letter I humpback humpback I.




No comments:

Post a Comment